French Creek Harbour Authority History
The French Creek Harbour is historically significant serving for over 50 years as focus of recreational, commercial and transportation activity. The French Creek Boat Harbour was initially developed by a group of 30-40 local boat owners in the late 1940’s. These individuals purchased commercial fishing licences, and constructed mooring floats for their vessels. French Creek Harbour was considered to be the only practical shelter between Nanaimo/Nanoose and the Comox Harbour. The French Creek Boat Owner’s Association (FCBOA) was later formed, its membership largely composed of the original group of boaters.
In 1949, Public Works Canada constructed a breakwater, boat basin, floats and a wharf head. Construction was completed in 1951.
The Harbour in French Creek was in early stages and was used primarily by locals and Lasqueti residents.
Union Steamships cease service between Lasqueti Island and Vancouver, Lasqueti Water Taxi took over the job and ferried people to French Creek instead. By 1963 a ferry service was formed which was similar to that in existence today.
Parksville Fish and Game Club appeals to the government for improvements at French Creek, the launch ramp was constructed at that time.
Public Works Canada does more work at the French Creek site, but locals were informed that the Department of Fisheries and Oceans only had funds available for use in Commercial Harbours. Thus, as the story goes, a small group composed of 10 commercial fishers and 30 or so local sport fishers each purchased a commercial license for a cost of $1.00 each. This group of ‘commercial fishers’ was able to convince the government that French Creek deserved some consideration.
The FCBOA facilities were removed as part of the 1985 expansion. As a result an agreement was reached between the FCBOA and Small Craft Harbours to lease mooring floats for the FCBOA members. Currently docks B and C are leased to the association from May to October.
An incorporated non-profit organization called the “Harbour Authority of French Creek” was formed in 1990 and management began officially in 1991.